WE MOVE DMV
Your Cart is Empty
Click here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
Moving Checklist - 1 week from moving day
- Take your views with you when you move.
- Changing your address details.
(Remember to change all your utility services. Iam MOVING.com is a free service that allows you to change your address details online, stopping services at your new address and starting them again at your property) www.IamMOVING.com
- Cable TV. Call cable company
- Electricity. Contact your existing and new electricity companies. Advise them of your new address and date of removal. Give at least 48 hours notice.
- Gas. Contact your existing and new gas companies. Advise them of your new address and date of removal. Give at least 48 hours notice.
- Water. At least 48 hours notice is required by both your existing and your new authority to arrange for disconnection and re-connection of supply.
- Library. Now is the ideal chance to return any library books that you find, no matter how long you have had them. Also advise them of your new address.
- Subscriptions. Notify all organizations, charities and magazines which you subscribe to of your new address.
- Soft Furnishings. If you have arranged to have carpets / curtains etc delivered to your new address, confirm that the companies have the correct delivery address, date and time. If you have to have your carpets fitted on the day of the removal remember that you will have removal men walking in and out of your new house so tell your removal company and arrange for the carpets to be put down as soon as you receive the keys.
- Borrowed or loaned items. Return any items that you have borrowed from friends and neighbors.
- Children. If possible arrange for the children to be looked after on removal day. We have put together a few tips and games to keep the children happy and out of harms way on move day.
Moving Checklist - 3 days until moving day
- Pack a bag. Fill this with a change of clothes. Include a survival kit for the other end; include things like, toilet rolls, light bulbs, candles, a few tools, matches, cash and a list of important telephone numbers. Include anything that you think you might need for the couple of days after moving day. You can put jewelry and valuables in this bag, and on the day of the removal, lock it in the car.
- Laundry. Do a last minute laundry. Have you arranged for a plumber to disconnect the washer? Some removal companies will do this for you.
- Keys. Please check that the keys to your new home are going to be available and that you know what to do with your own keys. Any spare keys should be clearly labeled and left where they will be seen when you leave the house on moving day. Please remember not to leave them in direct view of any window. The kitchen work top is usually good as its normally the first room the new people will head towards and organize first.
- Parking. Check with neighbors and resolve any parking problems. The average removal van is the same size as a double decker bus. You need to leave room for the truck to maneuver into position. The removal team will usually want to have the back of truck as near to the access point as possible and if on an incline the truck will want to be facing downhill (this stops everything falling out when they open the doors).
Moving Checklist - 2 days until moving day
- Fridges/Freezers. Empty, defrost and dry out your fridge / freezer, this is most important if your furniture is to go into storage or over a long distance. If you don't do this it will defrost on its own in the back of the truck, leaking over everything around it. If you have been quoted to have your freezer moved with the contents still inside (will only apply to short distances) put the contents into polythene bags.
- Kitchen cupboards. Go through the kitchen cabinets and throw out anything that is out of date, also while you are there check to make sure all the packets, bottles and jars are sealed tightly to avoid spillage.
- Valuables/documents. Pack valuables and documents and put in a safe place
- Split Deliveries. If some of your furniture is to be delivered to more than one destination, confirm with the receiving parties the delivery date and time.
Moving Checklist - 1 day until moving day
- Packing. Aim to finish the packing today, apart from a few essentials in the kitchen and bathroom. You will feel so much better when you can see the end is finally in sight. "Don't forget to clearly mark the boxes with the room name you would like them to end up in".
- Dismantle & Disconnect. Unless you have arranged with the removal company, you will be expected to dismantle any self-assembly furniture that cannot be moved out in one piece. Take down curtains and any fixtures you are intending to take with you.
- Snack box. Make up a box of refreshments for the next day, bearing in mind that your cooker may be disconnected or in the back of the truck. Include tea, coffee, sugar etc, and the most important item of all is water, you will have to keep the refreshments flowing as moving is very thirsty work. A selection of cold drinks is also a good idea.
- Toiletries box. Make up a box in the bathroom and put in the toiletries that you aren't using. Leave this box open to put in all the other toiletries tomorrow morning.
- Outside items. Anything outside that you can move, try and put either inside the garage or in a dry place, there is nothing worse than putting soaking wet outside furniture into a truck along with all your other furniture.
- Parking. If you have difficulty parking outside your house, it could be a good idea to park your own car or cars outside so that your truck will be able to park outside. Remember the truck needs more room than its own length to maneuver.
- Draw a map. Sit down and either write out some directions or draw a plan on how to get to your new address, including a contact number.
- Mobile phone. Make sure that your mobile phone is fully charged up for tomorrow, you are probably going to need it.
Moving, Pick up & Delivery and Hauling Services for DC/MD/VA/NC/SC/MA/DE/WV/PA/VT/AZ/FL.